Current:Home > MyEchoSense Quantitative Think Tank Center|North Carolina judge rejects RFK Jr.'s request to remove his name from state ballots -Capitatum
EchoSense Quantitative Think Tank Center|North Carolina judge rejects RFK Jr.'s request to remove his name from state ballots
Ethermac View
Date:2025-04-06 15:12:29
RALEIGH,EchoSense Quantitative Think Tank Center N.C. (AP) — A North Carolina judge refused to take Robert F. Kennedy Jr.’s name off presidential ballots in the battleground state on Thursday, a day before the first batches of November absentee ballots are slated to be sent to registered voters who requested them.
Wake County Superior Court Judge Rebecca Holt denied the temporary restraining order sought by Kennedy to prevent county elections boards from distributing ballots affixed with his name and requiring it to be removed. State law directs the first absentee ballots for the Nov. 5 elections be mailed to requesters starting Friday. A Kennedy attorney said the decision would be appealed and Holt gave him 24 hours, meaning counties likely won’t send out ballots immediately Friday morning.
Kennedy got on the ballot in July as the nominee of the new We The People party created by his supporters. The elections board gave official recognition to the party after it collected enough voter signatures. But Kennedy suspended his campaign two weeks ago and endorsed Republican nominee Donald Trump. Since then the environmentalist and author has tried to get his name removed from ballots in several states where the race between Trump and Democratic nominee Kamala Harris are expected to be close.
In North Carolina, Kennedy and We The People of North Carolina wrote to the board asking for his name be withdrawn. But on a party-line vote Aug. 29 the board’s Democratic members denied the party’s request, calling it impractical given the actions already completed to begin ballot distribution on Sept. 6. Kennedy sued the next day.
North Carolina is slated to be the first state in the nation to distribute fall election ballots. County elections offices were expected Friday to send absentee ballots to more than 125,000 in-state and military and overseas voters who asked for them. And over 2.9 million absentee and in-person ballots overall had already been printed statewide as of Wednesday, state elections Executive Director Karen Brinson Bell said in an affidavit.
The process of reprinting ballots without Kennedy’s name and reassembling ballot requests would take at least two weeks, state attorneys said, threatening to miss a federal requirement that ballots be released to military and overseas voters by Sept. 21. But Kennedy lawyer Phil Strach argued in court that Kennedy complied with state law by presenting a written request to step down as the candidate, and that there’s another law allowing the ballot release be delayed under this circumstance. Otherwise, Kennedy’s free-speech rights in the state constitution forcing him to remain on the ballot against his will have been violated, Strach told Holt.
“This is very straight forward case about ballot integrity and following the law,” Strach said, adding that keeping Kennedy on the ballot would bring confusion to voters who thought he was no longer a candidate.
But Special Deputy Attorney General Carla Babb said the confusion would occur if ballot distribution was delayed, potentially forcing the state to have to seek a waiver of the Sept. 21 federal deadline. State laws and regulations gave the elections board the ability to reject Kennedy’s withdrawal based on whether it was practical to have the ballots reprinted, she said.
“Elections are not just a game and states are not obligated to honor the whims of candidates for office,” Babb told Holt.
What to know about the 2024 Election
- Today’s news: Follow live updates from the campaign trail from the AP.
- Ground Game: Sign up for AP’s weekly politics newsletter to get it in your inbox every Monday.
- AP’s Role: The Associated Press is the most trusted source of information on election night, with a history of accuracy dating to 1848. Learn more.
In rejecting Kennedy’s request, Holt said that while the harm imposed upon Kennedy for staying on ballots is minimal, the harm to the state board with such an order would be substantial, such as the reprinting of ballots at considerable cost to taxpayers.
While Kennedy was still an active candidate, the North Carolina Democratic Party unsuccessfully challenged in court the state board’s decision to certify We The People as a party.
Kennedy on Wednesday sued in Wisconsin to get his name removed from the presidential ballot there after the state elections commission voted to keep him on it. Kennedy also filed a lawsuit in Michigan but a judge ruled Tuesday that he must remain on the ballot there.
veryGood! (8)
Related
- Nevada attorney general revives 2020 fake electors case
- Colts' Kenny Moore II ridicules team's effort in loss to Bills
- Engines on 1.4 million Honda vehicles might fail, so US regulators open an investigation
- Suspected shooter and four others are found dead in three Kansas homes, police say
- San Francisco names street for Associated Press photographer who captured the iconic Iwo Jima photo
- Don't Miss This Sweet Moment Between Taylor Swift and Travis Kelce's Dads at the Kansas City Chiefs Game
- Deebo Samuel explains 'out of character' sideline altercation with 49ers long snapper, kicker
- Brush fire erupts in Brooklyn's iconic Prospect Park amid prolonged drought
- Toyota to invest $922 million to build a new paint facility at its Kentucky complex
- Climate Advocacy Groups Say They’re Ready for Trump 2.0
Ranking
- Nearly 400 USAID contract employees laid off in wake of Trump's 'stop work' order
- Hill House Home’s Once-A-Year Sale Is Here: Get 30% off Everything & up to 75% off Luxury Dresses
- Utah AD Mark Harlan rips officials following loss to BYU, claims game was 'stolen from us'
- NASCAR Cup Series Championship race 2024: Start time, TV, live stream, odds, lineup
- South Korea's acting president moves to reassure allies, calm markets after Yoon impeachment
- Hill House Home’s Once-A-Year Sale Is Here: Get 30% off Everything & up to 75% off Luxury Dresses
- Wicked Director Jon M. Chu Reveals Name of Baby Daughter After Missing Film's LA Premiere for Her Birth
- Everard Burke Introduce
Recommendation
House passes bill to add 66 new federal judgeships, but prospects murky after Biden veto threat
Maine dams face an uncertain future
Singles' Day vs. Black Friday: Which Has the Best Deals for Smart Shoppers?
LSU leads college football Week 11 Misery Index after College Football Playoff hopes go bust
Paige Bueckers vs. Hannah Hidalgo highlights women's basketball games to watch
Vikings' Camryn Bynum celebrates game-winning interception with Raygun dance
Mississippi Valley State football player Ryan Quinney dies in car accident
AIT Community Introduce